Wednesday, August 29, 2012

In Memory of Davy Jones

Six months ago today, on the crazy day that happens once every four years, February 29th, I lost a part of my childhood as I heard on the radio that my little girl heart throb, Davy Jones of The Monkees had suddenly passed away of a heart attack.  
I grew up madly "in love" with Davy along with millions of other girls and followed his career as I grew into an adult, most recently seeing him with fellow band mates, Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork last summer on Long Island.  When I left the theatre, I thought, wow, they still have it, see you guys next time, never thinking there would not be a next time.
February 29th was a Wednesday, the same as today, August 29th is -- I have a Wednesday routine, was in my car when the news came over the radio and every Wednesday since February 29th has been a heartbreak, I guess that's what happens when things become routine.
In honor of Davy's memory and his incredible love of his horses, his four daughters have created The Davy Jones Equine Memorial Fund.  Davy is smiling down knowing that his daughters have been doing all they can to keep his legacy alive, relocating his precious herd so that they can oversee their care.
So, in Davy's memory and for all of us who have and still love him and The Monkees, please stop by the FaceBook page his girls have set up, give it a "like" and if you can, give a donation to help them take care of their dad's beloved horses.
Rest in peace Davy, you are so missed but will never be forgotten.




No comments: